Monday, November 16, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Bridgette Tatum (With Exclusive Interview)

Bridgette Tatum, the firecracker brunette, was raised on the tent revival brand of soul-shaking gospel, swirling with the Holy Spirit and saturated with raw passion. Music coursed through her veins, seeping deep into her bones, and manifesting as the powerful sultry wailing and soulful crooning that brand Bridgette’s sound uniquely as her own. “Music is what I was put on this earth to do,” she explains, “and it comes from something much bigger than me. I’m just a vessel for the music.”

This clarity of purpose was born, amazingly, of a violent and senseless attack. During Bridgette’s shift at a local motel, a disgruntled customer took a razorblade to her face, forcing her into six months of recuperation and some serious soul searching. She recognized her calling in music, and knew that life was too short not to pursue her dream of being a professional singer and songwriter. Promptly thereafter, Bridgette moved to Nashville.

Following her first outing at a Hall of Fame Lounge writer’s night, Bridgette continued to take in the lay of the land as she worked up to the honky-tonks on Broadway and a regular Friday night gig at the Star CafĂ© in White’s Creek. It wasn’t until she found a kindred spirit in manager Carolyn Miller, however, that her career began to really take shape.

It was through the encouragement of Carolyn, that Bridgette collaborated musically with the man whom came to be her future producer, Danny Myrick. Their partnership proved as successful in songwriting: they co-wrote “She’s Country,”a #1 hit for Jason Aldean, as well as many of the songs on Bridgette’s forthcoming album.

They laid down 13 tracks at the Studio at the Palms in Las Vegas over an intense five-day period, lending the arrangements a manic creativity that plays off Bridgette’s unique artistry and passion. The album reflects her many personalities, effortlessly transitioning from defiant, amped-up rockers to tender, intimate ballads to straight-shooting social commentaries.

“My roots in gospel have shaped everything I've done as an artist. I want my music to be that real and to make people really feel it. If I don't do that, then I'm not doing my job. If it's a ballad, it’s going to touch you,” she continues. “If it's a rockin’ tune, you are going to rock and roll till your pants fall off.”


I like my Cowboys dirty

Stephanie MySpace Video


That Nashville Sound- What brought you to music in the first place?

Bridgette Tatum- My mother really, she had a passion for gospel music and she and my dad put together a group that i sang harmonies in growing up. I listened to country music with my papa on his eight track player in his truck and got overwhelmed by the sounds of artists Like Buck Owens, Jerry Reed, and George Jones. Later on I discovered things that would become my favorites in music outside of my childhood like Garth, Patty Loveless, Trisha Yearwood, Aerosmith, Ccr, Rolling Stones, and a ton of others.

TNS- Describe your music- what's the mission behind the music?

BT- I guess in a world of television gimmicks and manufactured singers it'd be hard to pinpoint artists with true passion and direction. However I’ve been lucky enough to have found God early on and have an understanding that this is a gift which could be removed at any point if I don't responsibly and protectively take care of the music. The purpose is simple, make sure I’m writing and singing songs that emotionally connect to people and relate to individuals in a creative format. In other words, there's no gimmick to this music. It's just music, for everyone!

TNS- What might people be surprised to find out about you?

BT- Oh boy, I might as well throw this out there so my manager doesn't get to wreck me later in an interview. Lol... I seem to need cosmetic intervention she says. I love learning about new skincare and probably would try something new just to try it. It's fun!

TNS-- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

BT- As of right now, i am blasting Pink a lot! I’m a huge fan of hers and just took a jaunt over to England with two of my three best friends to see her in concert. I love her spunk and think she is a true artist. Other than listening to her recently, i run the gamut of music from Enya to Aerosmith!

TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward five years, what do you see for yourself?

BT- More God, more family and friends, and more music....that pretty much sums it up.

TNS- Nickname for your guitar or other instruments?

BT- Wow. New question on me! Well sometimes my guitar becomes a swear word because the dadgum strings break...but most of the time, I call it my friend. It provides the melody to my lyrics so it's a pretty good friend in that respect.

4 comments:

  1. If you haven't heard her you are missing what "REAL" is in Country Music. Get U some...

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is awesome!! Seen her at Tootsies one night and ever since have tried to see her shows and take pictures so the fans can see once you hear her she sticks with you all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly rocking! A cross between Elvis and Melissa Ethridge. Sounds great and looks great too! Also does some beautiful ballads too. I just know she is on her way to the top. Great performer and a person with a really huge heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im just so glad she isn't ANOTHER blonde...don't we have enough?? This one sounds like she is ACTUALLY country and "gets" what country music is about! Does anyone know where I canget her album??

    ReplyDelete