Monday, November 23, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- The Shells (With Exclusive Interview)

The Shells, a trio consisting of young female performers Carrie Welling, Melanie Klaja, and Jessica Rae Waltz, are a completely original pop/folk-rock harmony group. Their original sound has appropriately been dubbed as “cosmo country”: a blending of city pop with country folk-rock and intricate harmonies. All three women stumbled upon an audition for a three-part harmony group back in 2005 while pursuing their individual careers in the arts. Four years in the making, The Shells have grown from simple a cappella harmonies to performing with a full band at renowned New York City venues such as The Knitting Factory, The Bitter End, Pianos, and Arlene’s Grocery. They released their debut album Written Roads on October 8, 2009. The album was produced by Ryan Williams, who has also worked with major industry artists such as Linkin Park. In addition, Williams played almost all the instruments on the album. All songs on Written Roads were penned by the different members, showing the ladies’ breadth of musical talent. With the recent release of Written Roads, The Shells are set to share their cosmo-country sound with the rest of the world.

Listen to the girls’ music HERE.


CHANGE



THE SHELLS MySpace Video


That Nashville Sound - What brought you to music in the first place?

Carrie Welling- Ever since I was little, I was writing music with my father who is also a musician. I guess when I heard him play the guitar, I kind of fell in love with the idea of making up my own melodies and lyrics and making a totally original thing. So yeah, I guess my father brought me to music.

Jessica Rae Waltz- Music has always been a huge part of my life. My dad went to school for audio engineering and both my parents are huge music buffs, so I grew up listening to everything from Queen to Zeppelin to Aretha to Frankie Goes to Hollywood and everything in between. My first memories of singing are being in the preschool youth choir at my church and learning to play Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers tunes on keys with my dad. I studied Music in college where I directed an a cappella group & was in choirs & musical productions throughout my K-12 years in addition to playing piano and being in my middle school orchestra, so moving to NYC to pursue music was sort of written in the stars!

Melanie Klaja- We all have different stories for sure. I personally started singing at an extremely young age. As a child, I remember getting people's attention through my voice. People listened to me when I sang. Then it grew from there as a way for me to feel different and special. When I began performing in talent shows and singing in the church choir, I felt like I could be myself. Music became a way for people to know me and for me to get to know myself.

TNS - Describe your music - what's the mission behind the music?

CW: Our music is so different you know! It's got two totally different vibes that somehow mesh perfectly together. It's super root-sy and easy-listening but at the same time the lyrics and some of the melodies are super-edgy and rock. Again, I think it comes back to the whole theme of that hometown girl or boy coming to the big city to dream big, grow as a person and fight for what they want but at the same time they still keep that real hometown self. I want everyone to relate to our music, not just one specific "clique" of music lovers. I think our music has a lot going on so everyone can relate to a piece of The Shells.

JRW: The Shells have not only evolved in our writing and as a band, but we've spent a long time refining our sound. We could never really box ourselves in to a certain genre, so that's when we came up with the "Cosmo Country" tag--a little bit of that urban rock ‘n roll chick edge with some country influence. I think being a harmony group, we definitely get put into the folk category automatically. I am mostly responsible for that country flare since I'm from Nashville and have always been influenced by my fellow extraordinary writers and performing artists, Johnny Cash, Dolly Parton and more recently Patty Griffin. I've also always been in love with female singer-songwriters like Carole King, Alanis Morissette, Sheryl Crow and Fiona Apple...so I write in a style with all those artists clashing together in my brain so my songs come out as an interesting combo of all their styles with my own Waltz lyrical/melodic style--which we then "Shells-ify" with our unique harmonies. So, I guess with all that influence you can see why it would be hard to classify us!

MK: Our music is a mix of a lot of genres. For the longest time we did not know how to explain it without saying folk, pop, alternative, country, soul with a little rock and funk. So we came up with “cosmo country”. Stylistically, it describes the kind of women we are. When you think “cosmo”, you think Sex and the City. We are a younger version of those ladies getting their lives on track in NYC. So our music becomes very emotional when we write about our experiences as "starving artists". The lyrics and harmonies are a little more complex than your average Southern Country, but have the roots and easy listening of country music. Our mission is to bring people into our worlds and write from a point where our listeners can relate to the situations we talk about. Whether it is a song coming from a difficult situation, like lost love or family issues, or a song where we just let loose and have fun when we write about going out in the city or hanging with your close crew.

TNS- What might people be surprised to find out about you?

CW: At one point in my life, I wanted to play for the WNBA. (Laughter)

JRW: Oh man, I'm really weird—there are so many things...But, something that always surprises people is that I studied genetics in college (in addition to music) and was headed to medical school before I met The Shells. I'm also a homebody—I love spending time with my friends, but my favorite activity is curling up with a cup of tea and my puppy and watching some over-the-top cult movie like Tarantino/Coen Bros...kind of an oxymoron??

MK: Hmmmmmm. I think that the surprise about me is that there are no surprises. What you see is what you get. It has taken a lot for me to get to this point. Music has helped me immensely with that. I wasn't always so open and honest and truthful. As a teenager, you don't feel secure in your own skin. Always worried what others think. I think that when you meet me or get to know me, you think, "Is this chick for real?" The surprise is “Yes...I am!”

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

CW: Well, as I write out these answers, I am listening to The Shins. Love them… They help me to think. Weezer, Jimmy Eat World, lots of Classic rock, No Doubt, Dave Mathews, Cold Play....

JRW: ALWAYS listening to Ben Folds, Nickel Creek and Patty Griffin...but really have been getting inspired by a few Isreali artists--Etti Ankri, David D'or and David Broza. There's something really beautiful about not being able to understand the language, but knowing every word through the performance. I love Middle Eastern music, especially its unique melodic style and interesting phrasing. But the most fantastic thing about those artists is each one's ability to completely emote their songs both live and recorded, which is something I am working on being able to do consistently as well. Not really using the old iPod these days as I'm too busy to keep it updated, so I watch “Legends & Lyrics” on PBS every chance I get. Best show on television.

MK: It has an array of music. Depending on my mood I can go from Radiohead to Bob Marley to Avett Brothers to Ani Defranco. I get bored easily so I'm a little manic with my music changing

TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward five years, what do you see for yourself?

CW: Well, I would have to say what I am sure every other band says: "We see ourselves as rockstars in five years!!" I think The Shells want more then just that though. I believe 3 different girls from 3 totally different places can really accomplish a lot together. We not only want to be successful musicians (touring, selling tons of records, licensing music etc.) but we want to help music survive and grow, especially in this hard time where people need music the most. I see We Three Records (our personal record label) growing as a successful company to help other struggling talented musicians. We want to help musicians because we know the hardship and struggle it takes to make it in the music business. Refer to the song " Change", track 2, on our debut album "Written Roads".

JRW: Not a fan of crystal balls because life's an adventure and I never would have guessed I'd be where I am today 5 years ago, so who knows! But if I had to state goals, I'd say writing music, touring, starting a family, running an artist management/development company...any combo of those or all of the above.

MK: I see The Shells being on tour for sure. Still trucking with the band, but most likely in a bigger spot in our careers. Probably signed with lots of songs licensed. Steady money and gigging around the States, Europe, Asia and Australia. Hopefully in love, too. That would be nice!

TNS- Nickname for your guitar or other instruments?

CW: "My Baby" - my red ovation guitar... It's dead now.

JRW: Funny question!! I have 2 guitars but I'm just learning how to play...one is a vintage Gibson Epiphone that I got as a gift that I call "The Evil One" because as much as I love the way it sounds, it has so much space between the neck & the strings it really does a number on my fingers! So, I practice on that one to get good calluses...My other guitar is a Taylor Baby--so that one's "The Baby" (boring) and I use it to write because it's really easy to play. No creative name for my harmonica...just "D" which is what key it's in. I guess I need to work on naming them!!

MK: LOL, we have a nickname for our GPS, but it is a little risqué and should keep it for the Playboy issue!

No comments:

Post a Comment