Monday, May 31, 2010

New Chely Wright Documentary Movie Scheduled For Release This Fall

Recently outed Chely Wright will be the centerpiece of a brand new documentary movie of her story this fall. Wish Me Away is a poignant story of the first country music star to ever come out as openly gay. Emerging from a life of hiding, she exposes her truth to her family, fans and the country music world- on camera.

Over a two year period, the filmmakers followed her process as she reveals more and more of her inner story, while capturing its impact on the outside world. This film chronicles the story of the first performer to emerge from the world of country music to tell her story in a very public way, facing a culture that rejects those who do not conform to its carefully marketed image.

5 comments:

  1. I read Cheyl book and thought how sad....she lived a lie for so many years and it took a toll. The lie almost cost her her life. Society as a whole has trouble excepting gays and lesbians, country music is even more intolerable. It took courage for Cheyl to tell her story and look forward to this documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad Chely's come out in the manner she has - it may have taken her a long time, but since she came out she hit that road with firmly planted steps and seems happier for it. I hope country fans / industry don't freeze her out. I applaud her and LOVE the new cd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read the book, and I have Chely's cd in my truck.(haha) It's truly remarkable. Her story, the book, the album.
    I'm a lifelong Nashvillian, I'm also an openly gay 29 year old guy who lives for Country and Americana music. I hope Chely has paved the way and now the doors are open for the other Lesbian and Gay Country artist to come out. I hope they do. Thank God Chely had the courage!
    GO CHELY! LOVE YA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the book-wonderful and open. The album is terrific. I love all the songs-very well written. She's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am canadian, and i've been a lesbian all my 26 years.

    I had it easy coming out, i wasn't teased for being gay...i was teased because i've loved country music. that's what made me odd and different.

    I Thank Chely from the bottom of my heart for sharing her story. and for turning peoples' ears towards her music.

    -Rayne.

    ReplyDelete