Monday, October 22, 2012

Songwriter/Producer Tim Johnson Loses Battle With Cancer

Nashville singer/songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from liver and colon cancer much too soon early Sunday morning with over 100 major label album cuts to his name. Johnson served on NSAI’s Song Camp faculty and served as a longtime board member of NSAI. Artists like Daryle Singletary (“I Let Her Lie”), Collin Raye (“Someone You Used to Know”), Kellie Pickler (“Things That Never Cross a Man's Mind”) and Mark Chesnutt (“Thank God for Believers”) all recorded Johnson’s songs. Tim's song, "To Do What I Do," was recorded by Alan Jackson and inspired the title of his 2004 release, What I Do. Tim also co-wrote the song, "When I Think About Leavin,'" on Kenny Chesney's quadruple platinum selling album, When the Sun Goes Down. Johnson grew up in the tiny logging community of Noti, Oregon and was fortunate enough to learn about the power of music from one of the best, songwriting legend Mickey Newbury. Johnson also founded Giantslayer Records with Joey + Rory's Rory Feek in 1994. Feek featured Johnson on his RFD-TV television series, The Joey and Rory Show, earlier this year. He leaves behind a wife and two young children. Numerous songwriters and performers were on Twitter and Facebook shortly after his passing to recognize the man.

o    Jimmy Wayne- “Prayers for Tim Johnson's kids & wife . Tim wrote the lyrics to "Do you believe me know". He passed at 1:30 this am.”
o    Heidi Feek - “We lost Tim Johnson last night. So so so sad. Please send some thoughts/prayers/vibes out for his family and friends right now.”
o    Jesse Lee - “Music row lost a very talented and sweet man today. Tim Johnson, RIP”
o    Victoria Banks – “RIP Tim Johnson. In your own words: "God only cries for the living/ 'Cause it's the living that are so far from home"”
o    Erin Enderlin – “I just heard we lost the great singer songwriter Tim Johnson today, thoughts and prayers with his family and friends. He was kind enough to let me sit in a room with him a couple time, true brilliance...”
o    Chely Wright – “Rest In Peace, Tim Johnson. One of Nashville's best songwriters, but most importantly… a good guy. #LIVESTRONG”
o    Rebecca Lynn Howard - "Just got news that my friend Songwriter Tim Johnson passed early this morning. Heaven got a good one today. Our hearts are heavy.....RIP buddy."
o    Rory Feek- "I lost one of my best friends today-and the world lost one of the greatest songwriters of all time...Tim Johnson."

5 comments:

  1. May you RIP my Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sad. I still have 5 of his awesome songs for a project I'm doing. He was an amazing writer, but more so, one great man. He will be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. IAM SO SORRY LOVE YOU BUDDY WE WILL WRITE AGAIN WHEN I GET UP THERE
    RIP


    ReplyDelete
  4. SO SAD TO HEAR OF THE LOSS OF TIM JOHNSON.I MET TIM AT A MUSIC STORE IN EUGENE OREGON.I WAS LIVING IN MAPLETON OREGON AND HE WAS LIVING IN NOTI OREGON.HE WAS AN INSPIRATION TO ME AND MY SONGWRITING.MY PRAYERS WILL BE FOR HIS FAMILY AND FRIENDS.TIM WAS CALLED AWAY FROM US OH TOO SOON.YOU WILL BE MISSED MY FRIEND.Ted Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  5. RIP my namesake and fellow songwriter!!

    ReplyDelete