Monday, May 8, 2017

Margo Price, Kris Kristofferson And Dolly Parton Join Adele And Others On Brandi Carlile's Benefit Album

Album: Cover Stories: Brandi Carlile Celebrates 10 Years of the Story (An Album To Benefit War Child)
Label: Columbia
Release date: May 5, 2017

Nearly everything you need to know about this project is in the foreword that former President Barack Obama wrote for the album. He said, "As an artist, Brandi Carlile is using her talent on behalf of the most vulnerable among us, children living in areas of conflict. She reminds us that, together, we can build for our children a more just, peaceful world."

Carlile has collected covers of many of her songs from her heroes, artists who are fans of hers and mutual fans of one-another and put together an album in which 100% of the proceeds will end up going to benefit War Child.

In Carlile's own words:
Do you remember Sunday school? Goliath was a giant, he was undefeated, menacing and a paralyzing presence in his time. Goliath is our refugee crisis and the apathy it breeds. In particular, this giant is most devastating in that it is destroying the lives of the truly innocent, the hope of the world - children.
To quote Barack Obama – “These children are no less curious, hopeful and worthy of love than our own”. Instinctually, we understand this with such sobering clarity that it paralyzes us, frozen in the realization that Goliath might just be too big.
I am not big, or tall, or rich, or very powerful at all, are you? I close my eyes at the movies and although I’ve dreamed of being a singer my whole life, I’ve never really wanted or achieved monumental fame. I’ve lived in proximity to it for long enough though to know that The Story might be the biggest rock I’ll ever get my hands on and that’s more than enough for me. The Story is our rock, I’ve never had much of an arm though… and this story isn’t about me.
You are David.
Be David.
Track listing:

“Late Morning Lullaby” – Shovels & Rope
“The Story” – Dolly Parton
“Turpentine” – Kris Kristofferson
“My Song” – Old Crow Medicine Show
“Wasted” – Jim James
“Have You Ever” – The Avett Brothers
“Josephine” – Anderson East
“Losing Heart” – The Secret Sisters
“Cannonball” – The Indigo Girls
“UntiI I Die” – Torres
“Downpour” – Margo Price
“Shadow On The Wall” – Ruby Amanfu
“Again Today” – Pearl Jam
“Hiding My Heart” – Adele

No comments:

Post a Comment