Saturday, January 3, 2009

"Hillbilly" Jack Black Sings Bluegrass

Long a lead singer of the always tongue-in-cheek rock band Tenacious D, the comedic actor Jack Black has lended his vocal prowess to 'Old Joe Clark,' a song on his father-in-law Charlie Haden's Grammy-nominated bluegrass CD, Rambling Boy.

Said Jack to the AP, "I wasn't sure what to expect, because I haven't recorded or really sung any old songs like that before, bluegrass style. But it came very naturally, and I cranked it out in two takes," Black tells the Associated Press. "There was something in the music that I think struck a chord in my DNA. I think I've got some hillbilly in my roots. I'm already practicing my square dancing if we play the Grand Ole Opry."

He's suprisingly good and Charlie Haden is, as expected, a tremendous bluegrass performer. You can listen to the album (including Jack's song cut number #16) by clicking HERE.

1 comment:

  1. This is a great sounding bluegrass song- I'd love to hear him with a variety of groups backing him- it would be a hoot if he did some songwriting.

    ReplyDelete