Monday, February 16, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Dayne Lane (With Exclusive Interview)

Described by Us Weekly as “sensual and sincere, sparkling with authenticity” Dayna Lane grew up singing everything under the sun. Born into a family of dancers, artists, and architects, music was second nature to the Illinois native. “I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t singing” says Dayna. “It was a part of my life from well…birth. It’s taken me so many places and opened so many doors. Apart from my family, music has been the greatest gift I’ve ever received.”

After years of paying her dues in Chicago clubs, bars, and coffee shops, Dayna entered and won Jewel’s (Yes, the multiplatinum folk-pop-country artist Jewel) Soul City Cafe Music Quest. All of this attention led to a record deal with Vialex records and opportunities to open for Evan and Jaron, Tim Reynolds, Taylor Dane, Brian Vander Ark of the Verve Pipe, and other national touring acts.

In 2007 Dayna moved Music City USA to begin work on her new project. “Nashville has been a dream come true” says Dayna. “All of the players, artists, and producers that touched this recording were so inspiring. At the end of the day I think we’ve created a really uplifting record. The process was amazing, so humbling. I hope it speaks to folks and finds a little place in their lives”.

After many months of work, the fruits of Dayna’s labor can be heard in record stores, on radio stations, at websites, and in clubs all over the US. Her genre-crossing album Anything You Want just hit stores in January and it’s fantastic. We had an opportunity to sit down with the lovely Ms. Lane and talk about her recent project and how she got started in the music business:

That Nashville Sound- What brought you to Nashville?

Dayna Lane- My music is what brought me to Nashville. I had been trying to get discovered since I was young. So, once I did and my label saw the country girl in me, they met with Charlie Pennachio. Charlie saw something in me and we decided as a team it was best for me to be in Nashville, since country music was what we were all feeling for me. My roots stem from folk & country. Here I am now in Nashville! I love it! I feel so blessed to have worked with some of the greatest musicians in country! Real pros. This experience has been soooo surreal!

TNS- Looking over your career thus far, what do you rank as a couple of the highlights?

DL- Highlights thus far of my career! I have had a long journey and I am glad that I have. I believe in timing and I believe truly in intuitions. I have always followed them and along my path I have done some really cool things... I got my first guitar at 17 and learned how to play it on my own. I have played with many great artists along the way. Some known, some unknown, but all fantastic. I had a band called Second Nature years and years ago. We had a country sound. The first thing that happened with them, we got to be on WGN Channel 9 News early morning show for battle of the bands. We actually won the first time and got asked back for the second show. I got to be in front of cameras and to me that was a dream come true. Though I was sick, I still had a blast! Then in 2003 I was in a competition called Soul City Cafe Music Quest. It was a chance to open up for at that time pop star "Jewel" now country star. It was a dream come true for me because I was a huge fan of Jewels'. For me, it was a true dream come true. I made it into the national finalists. I was 1 of 5 solo singers and there were 5 bands. So, ten acts all together. We were chosen out of 100,000 CD's and made it to the finalists. Then we were all in US weekly magazine. That was cool! I flew to Cali with like 12 of my friends and I met jewel, sang on the same stage as her and she came out on the stage for me before I sang It was a dream come true. I then was inspired to move to Cali because of that. I was determined to meet people in the biz. I was there for 3 months and landed my contacts. I have always been tenacious with my love and passion for singing and making music. Since I already had a country/folk background, we decided to move me to Nashville and record. I sang at Sony Tree studio's which was a dream come true! I got to play dress up and have a photo shoot. Not to mention they did my hair, my nails, I got a great massage :) I just wasn't use to being pampered! So, I was so grateful! I have been blessed with a great band on the CD. I had a killer producer Paul Hart. I had fantastic back up singers! I got to have a video shoot for you tube. That was sooo much fun. Now I am on 30 radio stations in 3 weeks of getting the CD out! I am sooooo blessed and at this point my highlights add people such as yourself. I am deeply moved that you would take the time out of your life to do a little interview on me. So, thank you sooo much.

TNS- Who were some of your earliest influences in music?

DL- Some of my earliest Influences in music. First off, my mom and my grandpa. My mother is a beautiful dancer and my grandpa is an amazing artist. They were inspiration for me to follow my dreams. Ok, so that is not music, but they helped me to believe in my passion for singing, writing and playing guitar! They were so inspirational to watch create as I grew up. Musically, I was very inspired by Kenny Rogers... He was my childhood crush. I loved Kenny! Dolly of course! Janis Joplin was a huge inspiration, Jewel, Sheryl Crow, Robert Plant & Led Zeppelin, Willie Nelson, Gerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead & The Grateful Dead, Johnny Cash, The Doors, Jimmy Hendrix, Simon and Garfunkel, Bob Dylan, Hoyt Axton, Don Williams, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Kevin Mileski, Jaclyn James, Martin Sexton... So the list would go on and on and on…. I have been inspired by sooooo many, it is not fair for me just to name a few :) I love so many styles of music! I love so many artists!

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

DL- What kind of music do I listen to? I don't own an iPod! LOL I wouldn't even know how to work one. Sad but true. I listen to Cd's and radio. I guess I am old fashion that way. I listen to country, country, and bluegrass on my Comcast Juke box, blues, and old classics. I love old and new country alike. I can honestly say there is not a country artist I don't like. I mean I feel there are sooo many amazing artists right now.

TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward ten years, what do you see for yourself?

DL- If I had a crystal ball and saw me in ten years from now. Well first off, hopefully still alive right! LOL Honestly I hope I am still rocking out. My dreams and goals for those years to come are for others in my life and those I have not met yet. I am a huge lover! I love kids, animals, and people. I want to be able to leave this life knowing I made a difference. I am hoping that with success (crossing my fingers) I will be able to do charities of all kinds. I want to open an animal farm where all the neglected and unwanted animals can come and have a home forever. I would like to help those less fortunate. I don't want to sound cheesy but honestly I really see myself in ten years being apart of what is good and what is kind. I want to make people happy and I want to be able to help out so much so there is less struggling for those I can help! I just want to make a difference some how and any way I can. That is my musical mission
.

1 comment:

  1. Dayna's first CD is great! I like all the songs! She has a big future in music!

    ReplyDelete