Tuesday, March 31, 2009

CD Reviews- Eric Church- Carolina

The Background-
Eric Church's sophomore album, Carolina, is the follow-up release to his critically acclaimed 2006 release Sinners Like Me. Comparing the two albums, Church describes Carolina as a much more diverse project, more musical and a little brighter in content. The lead single "Love Your Love The Most" presents Eric's brighter side to country fans with memorable lyrics and a smooth melody. "Carolina is an album. So was Sinners,” says Church. “Most artists make singles and hope they end up with a record. I prefer to make a record and hope I have singles. I love country music, and I am very reverent of the time that I have to make records. That's what we owe the industry, the format, and the fans. We owe them a great record."

The Review-
With one of the stronger mainstream country artist releases this year, Eric Church’s Carolina features some of the more beautiful arrangements you will hear. A little more edgy and bordering on the Gary Allen Bakersfield sound (a compliment), it’s a full layered sound that compliments his everyman’s voice. It leans rock without ever leaving a true country sound. The album features the best song we’ve heard into 2009- “Lotta Boot Left To Fill.” Channeling his inner outlaw Jamey Johnson, Church slams boy bands, challenges Nashville’s music soul, tells us “I don’t think Waylon done it that way” and “You sing about Johnny Cash, the Man in Black would’ve whipped your ass.” Credit Church for laying it on the line as a mainstream artist but writing as an indie. In an interview with the9513.com Church says of the song, “Actually, the president, Mike Dungan, who I love, lets me be me and lets me make records and I couldn’t be luckier. He came to me and picked up the record and said, “First of all, I love the record, I think it’s another great record.” He said, “I played ‘Lotta Boot Left to Fill’ for our label, and I’ve gotta be honest, there were some nervous people in the room.” And I just kinda grinned and said, “That’s wonderful.” If they weren’t nervous, I’d be concerned. So, that song is meant to make a statement.” The cool part is, it is a statement. There’s a legitimacy to every song on the album- evident as each was written or co-written by his pen. Five great rockers, five ballads, and two somewhere in between- each of them feel like they’re legitimately “owned” by Church.

Sounds Like-
A more authentic & countrified Jason Aldean

Track Highlights (suggested iPod adds):
Lotta Boot Left To Fill
Where She Told Me To Go
Love Your Love The Most
Carolina
Those I've Loved

The Verdict:
Four and a half stars out of five- a VERY strong effort

4 comments:

  1. Eric Church's new cd CAROLINA is definitely one everyone needs to buy and add to your iPod! Love it! ~ Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...what Caroline said..:) and make sure you catch the Young and Wild Tour. ECB rocks the stage nite after nite. You'll be back for more.*** Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the record of the year so far and in my opinion the rest of the year included. Jerry

    ReplyDelete