Monday, March 23, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Marlee Scott

Born in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Scott's family moved to St. Albert, Alberta, Canada when she was only 6 years old where she fell in love with music. It's that childhood love of music and the encouragement from her parents that fueled her interest in music from the very beginning. Upon arriving at her first music lesson at age 7 her teacher remembers, "Marlee's mom had called to schedule flute lessons for her. When it came time for Marlee's first lesson I asked her, 'So, you want to play the flute?' She smiled at me and pointed to a pink electric guitar that I had in corner and said, 'No, I want to play that.'"

"Country music has always been a part of me. When I was growing up my mom had a Honda Civic and the only station we could get on the radio was country," explains Scott. "When I turned 16 I was listening to pop music with my friends and one day a song we didn't like came on the pop station so we switched to the country station. 'Mountain Music' by Alabama was playing. We liked the groove so we left the radio tuned to country." Supergroup Alabama may have brought Scott back to her country roots, but it was songs like "Prayin' for Daylight" by Rascal Flatts and "I Should Be Sleeping" by Emerson Drive, that kept the teenager tuned to country music. "I spent several years when I was a preteen listening to pop music like The Backstreet Boys and Britney Spears," comments Scott. "My music has traces of those pop influences but it's the storytelling and honesty of country music that I hope people hear on my CD. Lyrically this album represents me."

The allure of that pink guitar from Scott's childhood set her on the path that lead to her first CD release, SOUVENIR, (distributed by 306 Records) in October 2005. Her first album introduced Scott to country music fans in her native Canada, but it's her self-titled sophomore album (released internationally by Big Ride Entertainment) that hopes to take her to the next level in her career.

Scott moved to Nashville permanently in the summer of 2007. She spent months writing music for an upcoming CD, unsure of where she would find a home for her music in Nashville. When Scott felt like she had the right songs for her sophomore release, she brought the music to Big Ride Entertainment President, Gerry Leiske. Leiske was intrigued by Scott's music and signed her to a management deal in February 2008. "The biggest highlight of my career so far has been signing with Big Ride," states Scott. "The entire team is behind me and that is such an amazing feeling. I feel like they have invested the necessary time and taken the proper steps with me as an artist, and for this project, to make it a success. I am looking forward to a long relationship with Gerry and the rest of his team."

MARLEE SCOTT (released November 11, 2008) contains 10 tracks, and 9 of them list Scott as a co-writer. Her second album is packed with emotion and showcases her vast influences. Country fans are sure to love the uptempo songs that show Scott's zest for fun, like "Five O'Clock Dance" and "You're So Sexy", and it's the relationship anthem "Fight With You" that will be her first introduction to country radio in the USA. Heartbreak is represented in the album's first track, "Reality" and touching ballads "Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow" and "I Hold Your Hand" help round out the self-titled collection of songs guaranteeing that there truly is a song for everyone on this hit-packed CD. For a limited time, you can download Marlee’s single ‘Fight With You’ at her website HERE.

That Nashville Sound had a chance to sit down with the lovely Marlee for an interview about her rise through Nashville’s music scene…

That Nashville Sound- What brought you to Nashville?

Marlee Scott- I have actually been making trips to Nashville since February 2004 to write and have meetings to further my career. After 3 1/2 years of going back and forth, I finally decided to take the big step and move down here! By that point in time I had many good industry friends in Nashville who were willing to help me out with meeting people, co-writing etc. Soon after moving here I signed with my management company (Big Ride Management) and have been working hard ever since!TNS- Describe your music- what's the mission behind the music?

MS- I like to be creative with my writing and my music and to be able to express the way I am feeling through it. I also always have in mind that I want others to be able to relate to it, and feel what I was feeling when the song was recorded or written. I've got some feel good fun songs but also songs that are deep and full of meaning. TNS- What might people be surprised to find out about you?

MS- I took music lessons from 7 years old until I moved away to Nashville. I also really love baking, especially for other people, and I really enjoy cooking and creating interesting dishes.TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

MS- I am one of those people who enjoys all different types of music. I always say “If it’s a good song, I’ll listen to it.” I really admire Keith Urban, he’s very passionate about his talent, and it’s very inspiring. I love singer/songwriters, I find anyone who writes seems to have a special way of delivering their songs on record. TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward ten years, what do you see for yourself?

MS- In ten years, I would love to see myself as a successful, respected artist in the industry. I hope to have great supportive fans, and to be able to be play shows and meet interesting people along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment