Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Story Of A Song- Kristofferson & Cash- Sunday Morning Coming Down

Doug Davis over at CountryMusicClassics.com has a fun series where he shares the story behind the song a couple times a week. This week's story was particularly enjoyable...

Songs have been delivered to singers in several different ways, but Kris Kristofferson scored a first with his delivery of “Sunday Morning Coming Down” to Johnny Cash.

According to Kristofferson, he wrote the song while living in a dilapidated apartment following a divorce. He had met Cash while working at Columbia Studios but he had been told that he would be fired if he tried to pitch his songs to artists while working.

According to Cash, “One Sunday afternoon, I was taking a nap and Kris landed in my yard in a helicopter. (Kristofferson was working as a helicopter pilot at the time.) He got out of the helicopter and handed me the tape and said he had a song for me. So I figured if he went to that much trouble, I oughta hear it so I invited him inside and we played the tape and I loved the song and told him I would record it.”

Cash’s version of “Sunday Morning Coming Down” made the country music charts September 5th 1970 and was in the top slot the week of October 10th where it stuck for two weeks.

It was his 71st charted song and his 11th number one. It was on the charts for 15 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment