Friday, May 22, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Sarah Darling (With Exclusive Interview)

Small town takes on big Music City. That’s the big story behind Sarah Darling.

In 2002, a year after graduating from high school in Des Moines, Iowa, Sarah saved $5,000, packed up everything she owned in a horse trailer, and headed for Nashville on the advice of Joe Carter, Tracy Byrd’s manager.

In 2003, Sarah auditioned for an E Network reality show called “The Entertainer,” hosted by veteran Vegas showman Wayne Newton. Much to her shock, she was chosen as one of the 10 finalists. She spent the next eight weeks living in the Las Vegas Hilton with the other contestants, singing classic crooner songs on the program, and vying for a million-dollar performing contract. ”I didn’t win, but I finished in the top three.”

Sarah also did modeling and appeared in a number of country music videos, including “Red High Heels” with Kellie Pickler, “Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off” with Joe Nichols, “Too Much Blood In My Alcohol Level” with David Ball, and “Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy” with Big & Rich. It was in that video where she played a mannequin and her stiff, non-blinking portrayal was so convincing that “CMT Insider” held an on-air contest to determine whether she was a live person or a dummy. When viewers overwhelmingly voted mannequin, Sarah eventually had to go on the show live to prove she was real.

A failed romantic relationship became a gold mine of songwriting material for Sarah, and inadvertently led to her record deal with Black River. “I wrote a song called ‘Stop the Bleeding’ that I put on my MySpace page,” says Sarah. “At the same time, Jimmy Nichols had just started Black River Records, and he was looking for a new artist to sign.”

'Sarah represents everything that's great about our business,' says Nichols. 'She's got an amazing voice, writes melodic, hooky songs, and is as down-to-earth as the Iowa roots she comes from. We want the whole world to get to know Sarah Darling.'

But being a label’s debut artist doesn’t phase the beautiful young artist. Her first album “Every Monday Morning” lands on June 16th. Her first single “Jack of Hearts” is at radio and her first video for the single is being played heavily by GAC. Watch the video here:



We had the opportunity to interview Ms. Darling about her entry into music and what inspires her…

That Nashville Sound- What brought you to music in the first place?

Sarah Darling- I've been singing since I can remember. I fell in love with country music as a kid. I remember riding to church with my grandpa listening to Johnny Cash and Randy Travis. Country music reminds me of home.

TNS- Describe your music- what's the mission behind the music?

SD- My music cannot be mistaken. It's a blend of so many influences. It's country meets Sarah McLachlan and tells stories from the heart.

TNS- You've been featured in some music videos, has that helped in getting your foot in the door into the music side of things?

SD- Being in videos helped me meet so many people in the music industry and also I learned so much about making videos. So when I got to make my own, I had some seasoning.

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

SD- I have Lee Ann Womack and John Mayer in the player right now. I love all kinds of music.

TNS- What's next for Sarah Darling? Where do you hope to be career-wise a couple years from now?

SD- I hope to continue making records from the heart. I believe if you make great music, it will get recognized. I see myself getting my hands in everything in the next few years.

TNS- Quick questions (which do you like best?) Opry or Opera?

SD- Opry for sure!

TNS- Record stores or downloads?

SD- Record Stores! I still love to look at the cd booklet.

TNS- Fine dining or southern cooking?

SD- Southern cooking. I love anything Paula Dean makes.

TNS- Baseball or fishing?

SD- I love both fishing and baseball! I'm going with fishing. It reminds me of the great times my family spent each summer up North in Minnesota.

TNS- West Coast or East Coast?

SD- I’m a west coast girl.

TNS- Nickname for your guitar?

SD- It’s my “blue guitar.”

No comments:

Post a Comment