Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Megan Mullins (With Exclusive Interview)

Megan Mullins was born on November 24, 1986, in Fort Wayne, Indiana where she began to learn several instruments as soon as she was walking. By the ripe old age of three, she had won the Indiana State Fair Showmanship award at the State Fiddle Championship. Many of her family members are also professional musicians, most notably her brother Marcus, with whom she performed on the Grand Ole Opry at age fourteen. They would actually tour as a family act growing up on the road. It would eventually make an incredible song on her forthcoming album (and currently on her mySpace page) of All American Family Band.

By 2006, she was signed to Broken Bow Records. Her first single, titled "Ain't What It Used to Be" (also recorded by Billy Currington on his debut album) was issued early that year, reaching a peak of #32 on the country music charts.

In 2008, Mullins recorded a duet with former Alabama lead singer Randy Owen (who is also signed to Broken Bow), for his solo debut album One on One. Mullins also plays fiddle in Owen's road band. In April 2009, she switched to Stoney Creek, a sister label also started by the founder of Broken Bow. Her first release for Stoney Creek, "Long Past Gone", made its chart debut in May 2009 and looks to crack the top 50 this week.

Listen to her new Stoney Creek Records single Long Past Gone here.

We had an opportunity to hear Megan play at Golf & Guitars in Sacramento a couple weeks back and she put on a terrific show. We also were thrilled to sit down with her and do a little interview which you can see the results of as well…

That Nashville Sound- You have a great story about what brought you to music in the first place that you've put in a song- tell us about it...

Megan Mullins- Well, my dad played and sang in a one-man band every weekend (he worked in a factory during the week) My older brother wanted to play like my dad, and I wanted to play like my brother and my dad, so my mom took us to violin lessons. It wasn't long after that we started getting up at my dad's shows, and it sort of snowballed into us doing between 100-200 shows a year from the time I was 3 on. I wrote a song that's on my new record called All American Family band, it's very autobiographical. It was a great way to grow up, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

TNS- Describe your music- what's the mission behind the music?

MM- My music definitely sounds like me, and I just want to make good country music. I wrote 6 songs on my new album, and it's produced by Buddy Cannon, who also produces Kenny Chesney, Reba, and Willie to name a few. I also was lucky enough to play fiddle and mandolin on my record, so it definitely has those acoustic influences without being too raw.

TNS- How many instruments do you play and how has that been an asset getting your foot in the door in Music City?

MM- I play 10 instruments, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, piano, bass, viola, clarinet, accordion, cello and banjo. It definitely helped when I moved to town, because as I was waiting to get my solo career rocking I was able to get out there on the road and be a musician with other artists, and also do some TV work. For instance, I was in the house band for Nashville Star the past 4 seasons, also a musician for the Next GAC Star, and recently PBS's The Outlaw Trail and "Legends and Lyrics" where I played with Lamont Dozier, Motown Legend, and Justin Hayward of the Moody Blues. Also, playing with Randy Owen led to me singing a duet with him that's on his current album.

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

MM- Probably the last thing I listened to was Dwight Yoakam.

TNS- What's next for Megan Mullins? Where do you hope to be career-wise a couple years from now?

MM- I would LOVE to be playing and singing my music for anybody that'll listen. I will be playing and singing my whole life, there's no question about it.

TNS- Quick questions (which do you like best?): Opry or Opera?

MM- Opry

TNS- Record stores or downloads?

MM- Lately downloads out of convenience, but I love liner notes.

TNS- Fine dining or southern cooking?

MM- Southern cooking for sure.

TNS- Baseball or fishing?

MM- I love fishing!

TNS- West Coast or East Coast?

MM- Can I say anywhere on the road is great with me?

TNS- Nickname for your guitar or other instruments?

MM- I have an old french fiddle named Fugly, (cause she's french and ugly) and a black fiberglass stand-up bass named Black Sally. More names to come I'm sure, those are the two that stand out.

1 comment:

  1. I heard All American Family Band when I went to your Golf & Guitars last month. Great song from a talented musician.

    ReplyDelete