Monday, July 13, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Brad Cotter (With Exclusive Interview)

Brad Cotter has been on an amazing journey from childhood gospel stardom to his 2004 win of the popular USA Network reality show, “Nashville Star” twenty-two years later. Growing up in Opelika, Alabama, his youth was a roller coaster ride of love and guilt, admiration and abuse, faith and doubt, and living with the joys and dysfunction of the small town deep south. Through the ins and outs of the club scene, the Nashville songwriting and studio singer scene, Brad continues his lifelong determination to realize his dream- bringing his great music to his fans.

After spending nearly two years on a promising new project which was sadly scrapped due to creative differences, Brad is back, working with one of the writer/producers of his first Sony Patient Man album. They headed into the studio in early spring for newly formed One Music Group Records and are have produced a brand new album appropriately named Right On Time. They’re also talking to publishers about an exciting and revealing autobiography.

Here’s one of his top 40 hits, “I Meant To,” off his first album:




You can listen to one of the new songs, “My Mind’s Running Off With You” off of his new album HERE.

We had a chance to interview the talented singer/songwriter about his career and the positives and negatives about being associated with being a Nashville Star winner.

That Nashville Sound- What drew you to music originally?

Brad Cotter- I can’t really say for sure. I was drawn to music at a very early age, most likely because my parents were so young and such devout music lovers. There was always good music playing around our house. I was “performing” on our fireplace mantle with a hairbrush for my microphone along with Elvis, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, The Eagles, Allman Brothers, etc. as soon as I was able to walk. I started taking piano lessons at the age of eight, and one thing seemed to lead to another ever since. It’s almost as if God meant for me to be an entertainer. I can’t recall a time when I wasn’t obsessed with music.

TNS- Describe your sound, what’s the mission behind the music?

BC- Describing my music has always been the most difficult task for me. I suppose it’s due to the fact that I’ve had so many different influences, and been around so many diverse types of music over the years. I guess if I had to put my style of music in a category, it would be Country-Rock. Country, because of the content and relatable lyrics- and Rock n Roll because of the rebelliousness of the music and arrangements. My mission is to simply entertain the listener’s ears- while hopefully being thought provoking. I’d like to think that the lyrics and messages behind my music could be a help to someone in some way… maybe make them feel better about whatever situation or circumstance they may be facing.

TNS- What were some of the positives and negatives about winning a competition like Nashville Star?

BC- Wow, that question would take all day to answer. There are so many positives, and very few negatives. All of the positives are pretty obvious. I’m doing this interview with you right now for instance, and although I’ve been recording my music now for 28 years, before N.S. nobody wanted to ask me any of these questions. Now, as far as the negatives, I think this is where I’m supposed to complain about not being a big enough celebrity… but I just really don’t care much about all that. I’m happy with my life, and consider myself to be very blessed to get to earn a living using the gift I’ve been given. I don’t make my music for awards and airplay… refer to previous question.

TNS- What are you listening to right now, what’s in you iPod?

BC- I like to listen to many different types of music in my “down-time”. Right now I’m listening to Van Morrison’s Moondance album. Yesterday, I took a stroll down memory lane with Otis Redding’s Immortal Otis Redding album along with Eric Clapton’s first release while I was tinkering on my Jeep Wrangler all afternoon. As far as the iPod goes… I know I have one somewhere around my house, but I don’t care much for MP3’s. As a friend of mine once put it, “MP3’s are to music, what florescent lighting is to ambiance”

TNS- What’s next for Brad Cotter, what do you see for yourself in the future?

BC- What’s next… hmmm… I really do wish I knew the answer to that one. I plan to keep on writing songs, making records, touring around the world entertaining people, and “talking about talk-talk”- until the good Lord tells me otherwise. In the not-too-distant future, I would like to be able to “settle down” somewhere, (whatever that means), and produce and write songs for someone else to record. In other words, I’d like to collect all the money, while someone else does all the work.

TNS- Any nicknames for any of your instruments?

BC- I’ve got a 16 year old Takamine that I’ve played on every show, and used to write almost every song I’ve written since I bought it new in ’93. I used to call it “The Beast” because it was so well broken-in, but after Willie Nelson signed it for me a few years ago, I re-named it “Willie”. My other favorite axe is named “Charlie” and bears Charlie Daniels’ signature. I’ve just recently purchased a new one that I affectionately named “Cropper.” I’m waiting on my buddy Steve to come by and “bless” it. I’m wondering if I should purchase a Hoffman bass and start calling it “Paul.” Hey, it could happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment