Monday, July 20, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- The Poconos

Brian Leopold, former lead-guitar and founding member of The Low Flying Jets, an alt-rock band out of Jersey City started writing more rootsy, alternative music after the bands break-up in 2007. Brian’s vast musical and artistic ability, along with his admiration for American folk music led him to start writing the songs that laid the foundations for his newly formed band, The Poconos.

In 2008, Brian began writing music and playing shows throughout New York and New Jersey with help from good friend and musician Eli Ward. However, this short relationship was put on hold as Eli left the states to tour with Alicia Keys. Restless, Brian began interviewing new band members over the next few weeks. He immediately connected with Mandolin and banjo player Chris Smith, lead guitar player Marty O’Kane, bass player Jeff Dyer and drummer Lisa Cusack.

Together the newly formed members headed to The Dude Ranch to work with Ian Larkin on recording their first full length album, Love & Whiskey. The Poconos rustic, alternative - folky sound pays tribute to bands that have influenced the members over the years, such as Hank Williams, The Beatles, Sonic Youth, Whiskey Town, Elliot Smith, Bob Dylan, The Byrds and Neil Young.

The Poconos are currently looking to gain exposure for Love & Whiskey and have been booking shows for the Summer. The Poconos take the stage with frenzied, kinetic energy and really play the hell out of country music, noticeable in their song Appomatix Day.

You can listen to them play HERE.

We had a chance to sit down with lead singer Brian Leopold and talk to him about their journey thus far…

That Nashville Sound- You have a very interesting band name, where'd it come from?

Brian Leopold- Well I like the idea of band names. Even when I went solo I wanted to have one. I was having a conversation with my friend Jeff, the drummer in my previous band, The Low Flying Jets about the mountain chain in PA called The Poconos. I thought about what a cool name it was and said if I ever start a country band it would be the perfect name. Jeff always tells me I stole it from him.

TNS- Describe your music, it has lots of different genres- what's the mission behind the music?

BL- In 1996 I first heard Wilco. For me it was the first time I have ever heard anything rootsy. It was written really well and very clean but it had distorted sounds and noise on top of it. My country sound is a bit like this - I try to combine clean acoustics and add different sounds and noises to give the song a specific appeal. It’s the idea of trying to write something that sounds strange to hear but when you hear it, you want to hear more of it. Other bands that I think have done this really well are Pavement, Elliot Smith, and Bob Dylan.

TNS- What's the career highlight for the band thus far?

BL- Finishing the album is the highlight for me. It came out exactly the way I imagined and concept is clear. The album contrasts love and the things that get in the way of it.

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

BL- Actually I have been listening to lots of historical lectures recently. History is amazing and it gives me different things to write about like Appomattox Day, for example. Other things I have been listening to include: Neil young, Rolling Stones, Phoenix, The Horrors and Little Joy

TNS- What's next for you? Where do you hope to be career-wise a couple years from now?

BL- I would love to still be writing and playing music, doing what I love.

TNS- Quick questions (which do you like best?): Opry or Opera?

BL- Opry

TNS- Record stores or downloads?

BL- Record stores – I hope they never become obsolete, like what happen to arcades.

TNS- Fine dining or southern cooking?

BL- I think they’re the same thing.

TNS- Baseball or fishing?

BL- Fishing

TNS- West Coast or East Coast?

BL- East Coast

TNS- Nickname for your guitar(s) or other instruments?

BL- I’m not there yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment