Monday, August 31, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Zoe Muth & The High Rollers (With Exclusive Interview)

Our weekly column about new country music artists takes us up to the Great Northwest to Seattle, Washington where we uncover a new traditional country band named Zoe Muth and the Lost High Rollers.

Zoe and the Lost High Rollers are part of a close-knit community of musicians who make up and increasingly respected roots, folk, country and Americana scene that has seen bands like The Cave Singers, The Moondoggies, Sera Cahoone, and Neko Case break into the national spotlight. Zoe was recently part of the No Depression music festival as part of the All-Star revue of the Northwest’s best Roots musicians which included Star Anna, Mark Pickerel, Kristen Ward, Sera Cahoone, and members of The Maldives and North Twin. Initially a solo artist, Zoe Murth has compiled a cadre of seasoned musicians in a group that takes its name from a Townes Van Zandt song “No Lonesome Time.” Zoe has been compared to county legend Emmy Lou Harris by Seattle Weekly and finds inspiration in Bob Dylan and Woodie Guthrie when it comes to writing music. Her unhurried lyrics have a strong narrative and are complimented by her lilted and confident voice.

"My main focus has been on writing songs, and I always just figured if I can write a good song and sing it well, then it really doesn't matter how good my guitar playing is," Muth says. "I appreciate artists that write about work and class issues, but not in a really outwardly political way."

Listen to their new single “You Only Believe Me When I’m Lying” HERE.



You can visit Zoe and her band at the website HERE.

We had a chance to sit down with the songstress who was kind enough to answer a few questions for us about her musical background...

That Nashville Sound- What brought you to music in the first place?

Zoe Muth- What brought me to music? I don't come from a particularly musical family, but my dad has always been a big country/rock music fan with a huge record collection. My sister and I would play his 45's on our mini record player and make up dance routines and lip-sync. I always wanted to be on a stage I guess. When I was pretty young 5 or 6 I started writing songs and did throughout high school, but never really thought I had enough talent to be successful, plus I was shy. I figured out after college that I could never have and truly enjoy what anyone would call a normal job. I've worked as a preschool teacher ever since. It's the only way I can incorporate my loves of art and music and not have to deal with adults and computers all day.

TNS- What’s the mission behind the music?

ZM- My music started out as really folksy Carter Family or Bob Dylan but has really evolved with the musicianship of the band to incorporate a lot of traditional country and rock and roll elements. There's no real mission, just trying to be good and have fun, hopefully we can make a meager living doing what we love.

TNS- What might people be surprised to find out about you

ZM- I have lived in Seattle my whole life. People wonder why I sing like I do and love country music so much being from Seattle. I can't help it, whenever I sing, it just comes out that way, I guess somebody or something somewhere just wanted there to be another country singer in the world.

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

ZM- I don't have an i-Pod, I pretty much try to stay away from computerized devices as much as possible. Some of my favorite newer artists are Sera Cahoone, Caleb Klauder, Elvis Perkins, and Kathleen Edwards.

TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward five years, what do you see for yourself?

ZM- What I hope for myself is to be able to travel and play music. It would really help all of us musicians out if we got this universal health care thing worked out.

TNS- Quick questions… Favorite Hobby?

ZM- I love gardening and making art.

TNS- Record stores or downloads?

ZM- Record stores and thrift stores for records for sure, I rarely have access to a decent computer to get stuff online anyway. I like having the real deal anyway, plus I hate to see cool little record stores going out of business.

TNS- Favorite food?

ZM- Anything Greek,

TNS- West Coast or East Coast?

ZM- I don't know much about the East Coast, I'm sure it's nice though.

TNS- Nickname for your guitar or other instrument(s)?

ZM- No nickname for my Yamaha guitar, I usually borrow my pedal steel player Dave Harmonson's 70's Martin for gigs. Someday, I'll get a credit card and by my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment