Wednesday, September 9, 2009

9513 Interview With David Lee Murphy

I had the opportunity to interview one of the hottest songwriters in country music, David Lee Murphy for the other site I work on, the 9513. Murphy’s debut album, Out with a Bang, was released in early 1995, producing two smash singles–”Party Crowd,” which became the most-played country song of the year, as well as “Dust on the Bottle,” his first and only Billboard #1. He would go on to record four studio albums and land 13 hits on the charts, with five of those climbing into into the top 10. He has written or co-written album cuts for artists including Reba McEntire, Brooks & Dunn, Randy Houser, the Lost Trailers, Brad Paisley, James Otto, John Berry, Chris Young, Aaron Tippin, Montgomery Gentry, and Hank Williams, Jr. Within the last two years, he’s written Kenny Chesney’s number one single “Living in Fast Forward,” Gary Allan’s “A Feelin’ Like That,” Blake Shelton’s “The More I Drink,” Eli Young Band’s “Always the Love Songs,” and another number one in Jason Aldean’s “Big Green Tractor.” Click HERE to read the whole interview.

"That’s how it happened with “Big Green Tractor.” I was out bush-hogging on my farm one night and I had the lights on. It was about 8 o’clock and I was driving along in this field. I was cleaning up this fence row and just started singing this melody and then this chorus of driving this big green tractor I was on. I was singing just little bits and pieces. The next day I was writing with Jim Collins who had written “She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy” for Kenny. I walked in there and asked him if he’d be willing to tackle another tractor song. And he said, “Yeah.” So we sat down and wrote that. I never know if it’s going to be starting a song with a line and it turning into something or a song. It just never happens the same way twice."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for letting us now what ever happened to David Lee Murphy!!! My local station K92 in Orlando still plays the heck out of "Dust on the Bottle" like it was a new release! Awesome song! Glad to know he has been around all the time but just now writing these country hits for everyone else!

    Kerri Kelting-Smith
    Sanford, Fl

    ReplyDelete