Thursday, November 19, 2009

An Interview With Timothy B. Schmit Of The Eagles Over On The 9513

In 1977, Timothy B. Schmit joined the Eagles after playing in the band Poco for nearly a decade, replacing Randy Meisner. To this day, Schmit continues to be part of the Eagles lineup along with Glenn Frey, Don Henley and Joe Walsh- and he's also a member of the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame as a member of the band. This month, he has released a solo album of all original music called Expando (which we reviewed yesterday). I had a chance to sit down and talk about the new album and life on the road with the Eagles over at The 9513. A snippet of the interview is below but you can check out the balance of the interview HERE.

"I mentioned that I lived in a trailer house for most of my younger years–most of grade school and all of high school, really. Over the years, they kept upgrading our trailer house and when we started staying pretty solidly in Sacramento they got a big one and it was called an Expando. You could park it where you wanted to park it and it would literally expand out from 8 feet to 15 feet wide. That’s where the word came from. My first encounter with that word was this mobile home called The Expando. Later on, when I was making this record, I thought of that. My engineer friend and I started to look for it and do research on it. We found this old website and we found a brochure of this very same trailer house that I used to live in called The Expando. And I printed it out and I have it big on my wall here in my studio. When it came time to start to think about titles, I didn’t want to title the album any of the song titles. None of them seemed to quite get it. This word popped into my head and it seemed to sum it up pretty good. It’s such an autobiographical record anyways in many of the songs. I like the word and it’s different and it implies growing and expanding and I think that’s what I’ve done with this record."

No comments:

Post a Comment