Friday, December 11, 2009

An Interview With Phil Vassar Over At The 9513

Phil Vassar's resume boasts six number one hits for country artists including Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Jo Dee Messina, and Collin Raye, and three more as an artist in his own right. He’s been named the ASCAP Songwriter of the Year twice and has taken top honors from the Academy of Country Music, Billboard and MusicRow. Now releasing his sixth album, Traveling Circus, Phil approaches his uniquely piano-based, rhythm and blues-infused, infectiously buoyant brand of country music from the back-to-basics school of thought.

I had a chance to do an interview with the great songwriter over at The 9513 to talk about the new project and what lies in store for himin the future- including a new Broadway show. Read a snippet of the interview below but then head over HERE to read the entire interview.

"I went with my band for one. The guys never get to go into the studio to do records, which is kind of silly. I kind of get sick of working with studio guys because they’re working on your album at ten and then on McGraw’s record at one and then so-and-so’s at six. And I think it’s all between the lines too much. Everything to me starts to sound alike. The production is the same. I wanted to do it different. I think you can really tell. It sounds like me more live. I think that’s what I really wanted to capture. It’s more organic. And the way we set up in the studio was a little different this time. I used this little funky studio that I used to cut demos in that my engineer used to help me with instead of these $20,000 per week fancy studios. Or per day. Whatever. Anyways, it’s a whole different deal. It’s a lot more me for sure."

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this posting! I'm looking forward to picking up "Traveling Circus" next week!

    ReplyDelete