Monday, December 28, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Stormy Montana (With Exclusive Interview)

At just 16 years old, Stormy Montana has proven to have one of the largest and most dedicated fan bases in all of country music. She doesn’t attribute this simply to her age, but to the music itself, which is grounded in the best traditions of country music, with an eye towards the more accessable pop country of today’s generation. Stormy began singing live in bars and honky-tonks at 9 years old and hasn’t stopped since. Her love of music and performing is evident by the fact her mother never had to push her to sing and perform, it’s simply what she wanted to do. Teaming with renound vocal coach Teresa Smith, and surrounding herself with a great team of Nashville insiders and music professionals, Stormy set sail on her life’s calling.

Her brand new 2009 release “Someone Like Me” has already sold close to 7,000 physical copies since release, a virtually un-heard of feat in todays country music climate. In fact, had the C.D. been Soundscanned from the beginning, “Someone Like Me”would have remained in the Top 20 Billboard Country Music Chart throughout much of the year. Featuring 15 top quality songs by hit songwriters such as Dave Pahanish, Casey Kessel, Marcus Hummon, and James Slater; and recorded at Nashville’s finest studios featuring Nashville’s finest musicians, “Someone Like Me” is knee deep in great music that everyone can enjoy.The release date is a reflection of the Christmas season and the decision to release “Someone Like Me” online for the first time came after much deliberation. Stormy says, “At first we wanted to keep the C.D. offline completely, believing that the best way to sell ‘Someone Like Me‘ was for me to play shows, shake hands, and meet as many people as possible. As time moved on we found that the demand for ‘Someone Like Me‘ at the shows was overwhelming, leading us to sell out very quickly. At the same time, everyday we were getting request for the C.D. from places as far away as Japan and Germany. We concluded we needed to have ‘Someone Like Me‘ in all the online stores so that the fans who weren’t able to purchase the C.D. at the shows, and those around the world, could.”



We had a chance to interview the talented young lady for That Nashville Sound about her missions in music and more:

That Nashville Sound- What brought you to music in the first place?

Stormy Montana- I've pretty much been singing my entire life. I joke around and say it's in self defense to keep my mom from singing herself. She's a major support, though.

TNS- Describe your music- what’s the mission behind the music?

SM- I try not to stick a label to my music. It's obviously country, some more than others, but most of the songs can make people feel good. Easy-listening country, for the most part.

TNS- What might people be surprised to find out about you?

SM- Only thing I can really say that would be really surprising would be just finding out my age. I just turned 16 not that long ago. I've been told I look quite a bit older than my age.

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What’s in your iPod?

SM- I'll listen to anything except rap. I'm big on Outlaw Country, Classic Rock, Newer Country & Rock, Blues, Americana. Bob Seger, Johnny Paycheck, Paramore, Jason Aldean, P!NK, Metallica, Blind Melon, Tanya Tucker, Bekka Bramlett. I could name four million different artists I love listening to. The list just goes on and on.

TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward five years- what do you see for yourself?

SM- Well, regardless what I do, I know it will have something to do with music. Whether it's getting out on a big stage and performing, writing, just sitting around with friends jamming, it doesn't matter. I love it all, and I think it'll always stay that way.

TNS- Any nicknames for any of your guitars?

SM- Oh god, I have this old Yamaha, and I named it Earl. I got that from the song "Goodbye Earl" from the Dixie Chicks, where they beat the crap out of him and everything. That poor guitar ha so many scrapes and dents in it. I just call my Taylor guitar Taylor. Original, huh?

1 comment: