Monday, December 7, 2009

Up & Coming New Nashville- Susan Hickman (With Exclusive Interview)

Susan Hickman is working at developing her niche in a blend of rocking, uplifting country that hints at a range of influences from Janis Joplin to Carrie Underwood. With her new CD, Susan is not only sharing her love of music - she's hoping to connect with a global audience. "I really identify with the songs on this project," Susan says from her home in Atascocita, Texas. "And I think that a lot of other folks will, too." Produced by Doug Deforest (Todd Fritsch, Doug Spartz, Jonathan Edwards), the disc is the perfect showcase for Susans vibrant vocals. Highlights abound and include songs by top-notch Nashville tunesmiths Brett James, Mila Mason, Bobby Pinson and others. "Red" is a dark tale of jealousy and rage, while the two-steppin' fun-loving, "Wrapped Up In Me" offers a light-hearted change of pace. The contemporary ballad "Hell Still Ain't Frozen Over" works well with Susan's favorite, the poignant "One Of Those Who Make It Up There." Closing the disc is Hickman's soulful take on Gregg Allman's classic southern rocker, "Whipping Post."

The 24-year old beauty is not without credentials; over the past few years she has shared the stage with high-profile acts like Tracy Byrd, Jo Dee Messina, Kevin Fowler, Steve Holy, The Lost Trailers and Phil Vassar, to name a few. Her live shows are energetic, and she’s developed quite a following in her home state. Music has always been a part of the feisty blondes life story; she started taking piano lessons when she was just five years old and added the violin in her teens. Just four years ago she began to teach herself guitar. "Yes, I'm blessed to come from a very musical family," she laughs. "We were always singing and playing; our family reunions are just awesome."

Susan grew up singing in the church choir, listening to her parents favorite classic rock songs, and hearing her mom sing opera around the house. Her mother often made up songs to get her two daughters motivated. “There was literally a song for everything,” Susan recalls. “Gonna clean house today? Yep, she had just the song to put you in the mood.”

That musical backdrop helped drive the Texan’s love of song, and according to her parents, the exposure began when Susan was still in the cradle. Family legend tells us that Hickman was actually singing before she started talking. "Crazy, right?" Susan laughs. "Well, some things never change."



We had a chance to get Susan’s take on her musical past and present with a few interview questions:

That Nashville Sound- What brought you to music in the first place?

Susan Hickman- Music is something I grew up with. as far back as I can remember I was always singing. My mom was always singing to me and my sister so it was just a natural thing to do. Mom used to put me in my sister Sadie's crib starting when I was about 3 years old to entertain her while she did chores, I had a little tape recorder with a microphone that I would make up songs and sing them to her... so I guess you could say I wrote my first song when I was 3. (Laughter) But as far as a certain event that brought me to want to do music as a career, I think I may have been 11 years old when I first saw LeAnn Rimes sing. It was at an awards show and she sang Unchained Melody, I remember thinking she is just a little bit older than me and she's doing this-- why can't I?

TNS- Describe your music- what's the mission behind the music?

SH- My music is a reflection of who I am, the upbeat songs are witty and funny, the slower/ballad songs are deep and meaningful. I want to touch people with the songs I sing. I want them to hear a message that might help them in whatever they are going through at the time--- whether it's a funny kiss-off like Sunday Paper or a real heart hurting song like Hell Still Ain't Frozen Over.

TNS- What might people be surprised to find out about you?

SH- When I was much younger I used to sing in my closet with the door shut so no one would hear me practice. I guess you could call me a "closet singer"

TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?

SH- I have a very wide assortment of music on my ipod, but the artists that I listen to on a regular basis are Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Miranda Lambert, KT Tunstall, Heart, Evanessence.

TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward five years, what do you see for yourself?

SH- Well I can barely keep up with what I am doing today, but as far as goals go, it would be awesome to say I made it to the Grammys in at least one of the categories I am nominated in. I want to have toured the United States and Europe. I want to have sold at least 100,000 records, and my ‘57 ford truck would be drivable.

TNS- Nickname for your guitar or other instruments?

SH- I don't really have nicknames for my instruments, but I guess you could call my guitar my “writing partner.” I don't write without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment