Tuesday, June 1, 2010

That Nashville Soundbites- Chris Young- Voices EP


That Nashville Sound receives many different CD releases throughout the year from indie, bluegrass and artists just off the mainstream radar- or smaller projects like EPs- that we’re doing short mini CD reviews on. We call them That Nashville Soundbites- it’s a feature that will allow us to give some props to some albums and artists that deserve a spotlight on their work.



Release Date: May 2010
Music Label: RCA Nashville
The Skinny: On this three song EP, Chris Young has paid tribute to a few of his heroes in country music. It includes John Anderson’s 1983 number one “Swingin,” Keith Whitley’s 1990 Top 5 hit, “I’m Over You” and Vern Gosdin’s 1989 CMA Song of the Year, “Chiseled In Stone.” Young is quoted: “There’s a song on my current album called ‘Voices’ – it’s my next single – and we decided to name this EP Voices, too, and one of the reasons we did that is because these are really the voices that inspired me, musically. If you go through a list of some of my favorite artists, these guys are at the top. I love these songs and the men who originally sang them. These are all songs I might play in my live set at one of my shows on any given night, and this project allows me to share with fans some of the musical voices that helped make me the man I am today.” The ironic part of this extremely strong three-song set is that Young- at the ripe old age of 25- was only five years old when the Whitley song was released. Amazingly, he takes this and the other two tracks and backed only by acoustic instruments, completely makes them his own. His deep voice suits the three songs extremely well and really drives home an emotional tie to the lyrics that convey well the tribute to his elders that he was going for. The three make you long for more. It’s easily the best EP we’ve reviewed thus far this year.

Sounds Like
: Josh Turner
Standout Tracks: All three on the album
The Verdict: Four and a half stars out of five

No comments:

Post a Comment