Thursday, August 4, 2011

An Interview With Julie Roberts Over At Engine 145

Julie Roberts grew up singing country music in Lancaster, S.C., spending four summers working in music shows at Carowinds, a theme park in Charlotte, and later at Dollywood in East Tennessee. As an entertainer, she was inspired by Barbara Mandrell, while she looked to Tanya Tucker for vocal influences.

After attending the University of South Carolina in Lancaster for two years, she transferred to Belmont University in Nashville and formed a band that played small clubs such as Harvey Washbangers and Guido's and big events such as the Nashville Predators hockey games.


Roberts' debut CD was released in 2004. Although its first single, "Break Down Here," reached the mid-level of the country charts and was certified gold. Her follow-up, Men & Mascara, was released in 2006 and included four songs she co-wrote. She's released her third independent album, Alive, this year and talked with me about the album, her recovery from the devastating Nashville floods and her recent announcement that she has MS. Read a clip below and then go HERE to read the balance of the interview.

"I’ve said that before, “I think I was born in the wrong decade.” But people always tell me I was born exactly in the time period I was supposed to be born in. But I tell my momma all the time that I was born in the wrong time period because I like this type of music. She just tells me, “Nope, you were born when you were supposed to be born; you just like this type of stuff.” Maybe this is just the path I was supposed to be on, I don’t know. But I know this is the music I’m supposed to make because it moves me. It’s what I’ll keep doing because it’s what I’ve always listened to. I can’t be dishonest and do anything that doesn’t include the steel guitar because that’s what moves me."

No comments:

Post a Comment