Monday, December 5, 2011

Jo Dee Messina Launches New Website For Working Moms

Singer/songwriter and Curb Records recording artist Jo Dee Messina has launched a brand new website called The Fumbling Mom dedicated to sharing the advice she's learning along the way being a new mother.

According to Messina, "I got pregnant in 2008 - I was clueless, unprepared and had no idea what was about to come my way. Until then, my decisions were about picking the right song, who to write with, what musicians to carry on the road and deciding on how many tour dates a year we should strive for. I still have to make those decisions today but I also have to figure out which of my son’s outfits are appropriate for todays weather. What, besides cheese, will he eat for dinner and is it really safe to let him play with that hammer.

My husband and I were married in 2007. We moved in together and began to live our lives. Me and him - our own little union. Just as we were getting situated into married life, getting the system down, learning each others idiosyncrasies - we found out we were expecting. It was a shocker. I mean, we both wanted kids but couldn’t help to wonder, “Now God?” That little “plus sign” on the pregnancy test hit us like a ton of bricks. We were in disbelief - Why now? How are we going to do this? What about my career? This wasn’t part of the plan !

I didn’t see myself as the “motherly“ type. Growing up. I was never the girly-girl who played house and had dreams of the large, fairy tale wedding with 2.5 kids and a dog. I was raised around Northeast Italian men who taught me to speak your peace or never be heard from. I was a tomboy - I rode motorcycles and worked on cars. In high school, my wardrobe staples were jeans and work boots rather than blouses and dresses.

My career was music and my life was my career. I was performing 3 to 5 nights a week by the age of 13. From then on most every decision I made was concerned with my career. Music became my identity and I became very good at the business of music. There was no room in my life to be a mom until that day in 2008 when my husband and I found out we were expecting. At that moment I knew things had to change.

This website is about my journey in being a mom. A look into the balance of a career driven woman who still raises her kids with patience, kindness and integrity. Every child is different and each day is a new adventure. Some things I know, MOST things I don’t. But, I’m figuring it out, I’m doing my very best. I just hope I don’t screw this up."

No comments:

Post a Comment