Monday, December 2, 2013

Up & Coming New Nashville- Meet Emily Hearn

Born in raised in Griffin, Georgia, Emily Hearn didn’t get fully bit by the music bug until she was in college at the University of Georgia. She had played piano for a few years, and taught herself how to play guitar in 2008. And she loved the way music made her feel, and how an honest song could tell a story with more intensity and emotion than any book I’d ever read. She admired great songwriters like James Taylor, John Denver, Joni Mitchell and Bob Dylan. But the one that inspired her to follow her muse was Brandi Carlile. “Her lyrics are just really honest and vulnerable. When I listened to her I thought, “I can do that” and I knew I could. Her shows really inspired me.”



So with that as inspiration, she began songwriting and released her first EP, Paper Heart in 2010 and her full-length album, Red Balloon in 2012. “I saw these records as a chance to give my feelings a life of their own, and to express them in a way that was genuine and honest so that other people who felt the same way could know they are not alone. I was lucky enough to land some amazing opportunities following the release of these albums. Some of these include a surprise Bill Murray cameo in my first music video (which was a highlight moment of my life) and the chance play my music all over the country where I’ve continued to meet amazing friends and fans.”



She’s just released a brand new EP with producer Chad Copelin (who just finished up working on Green River Ordinance’s latest project) and has titled it Promises. “It talks about the ups and downs of life- what it feels like to have a crush, and (sadly) what it feels like to be strung along waiting for someone to feel the same way, the big fights that change everything, the falling in love and getting married, and what you need to hear from a friend on those rough days. These songs are from my heart, but I think you might find that you’ve felt the same way. My hope is that you just might find the anthem for your current season of life, or that you might be able to take the night off and come to one of my shows and realize I’m singing about the same thing you felt yesterday. To me, music really does have a world of its own, and a lot of times people connect there even if it’s for different reasons. I’d love for you to come join in on my world where feelings sound like songs, and I hope you feel at home.”



Adding to the personal nature of the EP, Hearn has utilized her own wedding day and subsequent video footage as the basis of her music video for her latest single release. “‘Found A Heart’ is maybe the happiest and most personal song I’ve ever written,” Hearn says. “I was watching back over the video from my wedding and all of a sudden it clicked — this song is our story, and the best way to truly show my inspiration is through real-life moments of our wedding day. It still makes me well up inside when I watch it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment