Monday, September 7, 2015

Carnival's Hailey Whitters Schedules Black Sheep Release For 10/2

Artist: Hailey Whitters
Album: Black Sheep
Label: Carnival
Release date: Oct. 2, 2015

If you follow this little website, you'll know that we've given lots of love to Carnival Records in the past and its artists like Logan Brill. It's neither stand-alone music label or publishing house, but a music company- putting meaningful music first out in front of everything it does. So when it announces that it has a new release from an artist it takes note of... well... you should take note of it.

Hailey Whitters will release her debut full-length record Black Sheep on Carnival Records on October 2. The album was produced by Derek Wells and includes ten tracks, eight of which were written by Whitters including three that she penned by herself.

Whitters grew up in Shueyville, Iowa, population just shy of 600. “It’s such a little town. It’s getting bigger, but we don’t even have a post office,” she says. “We have two bars, a wine cellar, and a church.

The oldest of six children born to a large Catholic family, Whitters grew up a determined but unexpected artist, drawn to songs and singers but unsure why. “I didn’t grow up in a super musical family,” she says. “I just had a weird inkling to do music.” The Dixie Chicks, Trisha Yearwood, Patty Loveless, and other women who drove 90s country radio were her gateway heroines, which led to a deep dive into classic country, and ultimately, Americana storytellers such as Patty Griffin, John Prine, and Gillian Welch.

“I took my first trip to Nashville when I was 16 and fell in love,” Whitters says. “I immediately knew I wanted to move here.” A year later, she did. She also enrolled in college, and paid her proverbial dues as a nanny, waitress, and salon receptionist before signing with left-of-center lighthouse Carnival Music in 2012.

“When I was younger, I just mimicked people that I admired,” Whitters says. “I learned how to tell a story.”

“I’m a risk taker,” Whitters says. “My friends always laugh because I’m kind of one extreme or the other. I’m not really a middle ground kind of person. You take these risks, and then the reward is just…” She trails off for a moment. “I feel like the part that feels so awesome about it afterwards is knowing that you were scared to do it, but then you did -- and it paid off.”

For tour dates and more information, check out www.haileywhitters.com.

Black Sheep track listing:
1. Long Come to Jesus (Whitters, Matraca Berg)
2. City Girl (Adam Wright, Shannon Wright)
3. Late Bloomer (Whitters)
4. Black Sheep (Whitters, A. Wright)
5. Low All Afternoon (Whitters)
6. One More Hell (Whitters)
7. Heartbreaker (Whitters, A. Wright)
8. People Like You (Whitters, Kelsey Anna)
9. Pocket Change (Mando Saenz, Shelly Colvin)
10. Get Around (Whitters, Stephanie Lambring)

Hailey Whitters - Black Sheep from Houston Mathews on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment