Label: Compass Records
Release date: June 2, 2017
Grand Ole Opry member and International Bluegrass Music Association Hall of Honor member Bobby Osborne has a brand new album coming out in June that has a little bit of help from a lot of his bluegrass and country friends. On Compass Records, Original will feature his legendary high vocals and mandolin playing. Osborne is known primarily for his collaborations with his brother Sonny Osborne in their band, the Osborne Brothers. He was a pioneer in conceiving the now-popular "high lead" vocal trio concept. The Osborne Brothers recordings of "Rocky Top", and "Kentucky" were named official state songs of Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively.
The new album features an all star cast of pickers and singers collaborating with Bobby on an eclectic set of songs. Bluegrass sensations Sierra Hull and Trey Hensley team up with stalwarts Stuart Duncan and Todd Phillips on grass’d up versions of Paint Your Wagon’s “They Call The Wind Maria” and the Bee Gees’ “I’ve Gotta Get a Message to You.” The never-before-recorded Darrell Scott song “Kentucky Morning,” featuring Rob Ickes, gives a nod to Bobby’s heritage while the cover of “Make the World Go Away” with the lush twin fiddles of Buddy Spicher and Matt Combs evokes Music Row circa 1962. Bobby’s touring band the Rocky Top X-Press, with sons Wynn, Robby and Bobby Osborne Jr., deliver an updated version of the Osborne Brothers’ classic “Pathway of Teardrops” while Ronnie and Robbie McCoury, together with Josh Williams and Missy Raines, collaborate on a version of the obscure Mel Tillis song “Goodbye Wheeling.” Additional performers include Sam Bush, Vince Gill, Jim Lauderdale, Del McCoury, Darrell Scott, David Mayfield, Molly Tuttle, Bryan McDowell, and Kenny Malone.
1. They Call the Wind Maria (feat. Sierra Hull, Stuart Duncan and Alison Brown)
2. Goodbye Wheeling (feat. Ronnie McCoury, Josh Williams, Robbie McCoury and Del McCoury)
3. Kentucky Morning (feat. Sierra Hull, Stuart Duncan, Rob Ickes, Dale Ann Bradley and Darrell Scott)
4. I've Gotta Get A Message to You (feat. Sierra Hull, Trey Hensley, Stuart Duncan, Alison Brown, Rob Ickes and Claire Lynch)
5. Make The World Go Away (feat. Vince Gill and Molly Tuttle)
6. Just In Case
7. Don't Be Cruel (feat. Sam Bush, Jim Hurst and Todd Phillips)
8. Eight More Miles (feat. Sam Bush and Michael Cleveland)
9. Country Boy (feat. Sierra Hull, Stuart Duncan and Alison Brown)
10. Pathway of Teardrops