Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Up & Coming New Nashville - Meet Alexis Taylor

Canadian born singer and songwriter Alexis Taylor was raised in the small town of Huntsville, Ontario. From a young age she showed a great love and passion for music through her songwriting and acoustic guitar playing. “Both my parents are songwriters, and are very musical. Music is a part of me - it has always been in my blood.”

It wasn’t until Alexis had graduated high school that she decided to make a visit to Nashville, Tennessee in 2012. Upon walking along the streets of Broadway, Alexis fell in love with the city and decided to move to Nashville and pursue music full time.

Summer 2016 saw the launch of Alexis' international career with a tour throughout Scandinavia opening for renowned singer/songwriter Doug Seegers. "Being able to open for someone as talented and genuine as Doug Seegers along with his incredibly gifted band has been an experience of a lifetime," she says. "The opportunity truly allowed me to grow as a performer, and I am so grateful that Doug took me under his wing."

At the beginning of 2018, Alexis released her debut single "Blame The Whiskey" which allowed her to appear live on numerous radio stations throughout North America, and take part in events such as Canadian Music Week in Toronto, and CMA Fest in Nashville. The release of "Blame The Whiskey" also lead to Alexis taking home the award for ‘Female Vocalist of the Year’ at the 2018 Tennessee Music Awards, performing at the USO Northwest Gala, and take the #1 position for six consecutive weeks on Reverb Nation's provincially ranked country artists charts.

Currently Alexis is continuing to follow her dream as a musician; performing at a variety of venues all over North America, and working on writing new music in the studio which she is planning on releasing shortly.



That Nashville Sound got a chance to catch up with the Up & Comer and chat briefly about her music and inspirations:

That Nashville Sound: From the artists perspective, describe your music for the previously uninitiated.

Alexis Taylor: For anyone that has not previously heard my music, I would like to think that I am a mixture of all my inspirations growing up - Dolly, Faith, Shania, Miranda, and Carrie to name a few, along with many other influential women in country music.

TNS: What would you say are the biggest influences on your songwriting and sound?

AT: One thing that influences me when it comes to my songwriting would have to be real life experiences that either myself or friends of mine have gone through. There is nothing quite like sitting in front of a blank page of paper and being able to put feelings and emotions into music. It is even more rewarding when I am able to help comfort people through my music and help them realize they are not alone in whatever it is they are going through. As for my sound, I feel as though I have been influenced by a lot of people I have met in Nashville, especially my friends. There is definitely no shortage of talent in this town and I am so lucky to be here.

TNS: Do your Canadian roots have an influence on the direction of your country music today?

AT: My Canadian roots definitely have an influence on my music. I think growing up in the small town of Huntsville, Ontario only made me focus on music more. In my town, there was not much to do growing up, so I always found myself escaping into music. I was also lucky enough to have an amazing music teacher in high school, Mr. Tusz, who truly encouraged me and believed in me. I would not be where I am today without him.

TNS: What is country music to Alexis Taylor?

AT: To me, country music has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember. Both of my parents are musicians, and always had country music playing anytime we were in the car. In my opinion, country music conveys a sense of honesty and sincerity, which is hard to find in any other genre. It seems to tell stories of love and heartbreak, good times and hardships - but more than that, country music is a way of life.

1 comment:

  1. To Alexis Taylor, you are a great talent, and I hope that 2019 brings you more recognition and success!
    My condolences to you and your family on the loss if your Uncle, Mike Taylor. He was an exceptional Talent, and the world will not be the same without him!
    Keep singing Alexis! I hope to be hearing more of you in the coming months!

    ReplyDelete