Sunday, November 30, 2008

CD Review- Don Williams- The Journey

In a career spanning more than fifty years, Don Williams has had 52 top-40 country hits (including 17 that went to #1), has released 28 original albums, a variety of greatest hits compilations and three video collections. He continues to release music, his last studio album called My Heart To You off of the Intersound Records label.

November 18th marked the release of a compilation album called The Journey- released on Aspirion Records.

This album brought back many memories as I sat and listened to it all the way through for the first time. Here are songs I have listened to from the time I was a child, and now I'm still listening to them as I raise my own children. I sat and listened to many of these songs while sitting in the back of an old Lincoln as my mother drove "Mom Taxi."

The Journey is all of the great hits that Don Williams penned himself, and as a result it misses some of the big hits like “Tulsa Time” and “I Believe In You” that are on other compilation Greatest Hits. It does, however, reveal that great songwriter that is within this country legend. With a deep rich voice and a simple approach with meaningful lyrics, Williams brings a memorable performance to nearly every track on the album.

The highlight of the album is the last song penned, the 1998 “I Sing For Joy.” It’s a richly orchestrated song about how “this good ole boy sings for joy for the smiles that it brings.” It so seems prophetic over a career that has brought so many listeners pleasure for so long.
This album is a must have for Don Williams fans but I think would be loved by any fan of classic country music. It has all the stuff many of us have grown up listening to. Even people that may not have listened to country music history will recognize some and like many these songs. The "Gentle Giant" has given us a great compilation of music on one album to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment