Monday, December 1, 2008

Up and Coming New Nashville- Stephanie Willis (With Exclusive Interview)

Almost every week, That Nashville Sound highlights a yet starbound singer/songwriter that we have high hopes for. This week is no exception with the introduction of the lovely Stephanie Willis.

Stephanie Willis moved to Nashville from a tiny little hole in the woods outside of Asheville, NC in 2003. She's both a singer and a songwriter. The stage is her comfort zone. She is currently in a brand new vocal group called The Delilah's. Alongside Anna Owens, Sheri Miller and Ricki Trudeau, they just signed a development deal with Sony Records and have producer Marcus Hummon on board (writer of Bless The Broken Road, Born To Fly, Cowboy Take Me Away.)
Stephanie was also recently asked to join a tour called "Women On Fire". It's a group of women who have stories to tell and songs to sing that we hope will encourage women around the country! The stories will make you laugh, cry, but most importantly, inspire you! Leah Shafer and Deanna Johnston put this together after a stint together in Canada this summer (6 Chix).
Her mySpace page has a beautiful song on it called Roses In December and a brand new one added called Sleep Tonight that are definitely worth listening to. She'll be tackling the nation's stages soon. We had a chance to sit down with her and ask her a few questions recently and this is what she had to say:
TNS- What brought you to Nashville?
SW- This is one is pretty predictable - music! Wishing and dreaming was not enough for me anymore, so in 2003 I left my Western NC home and moved to Nashville. Luckily, I had already met a well known artist manager prior to moving here that wanted to work with me. That always helps!
TNS- Looking over your career thus far, what do you rank as a couple of the highlights?
SW- I was part of a show last summer in Canada called 6 Chix. Reba McEntire (my hero) was at the same venue playing 2 shows while we were rehearsing for ours. I had the opportunity to meet her. She is my inspiration and the very reason I decided at a young age that I wanted to be a performer. Another big highlight is certainly signing a development deal with Sony which happened only a month ago. I'm part of an all girl harmony group much like Crosby, Stills, and Nash, but country!
TNS- What might people be suprised to find out about you?
SW- I take over a hundred vitamins a day!
TNS- What kind of music are you listening to? What's in your iPod?
SW- Reba always! I'm also listening to Rascal Flatts, Jordin Sparks, and Britney Spears. Wide variety huh?
TNS- If you had a crystal ball and looked forward ten years, what do you see for yourself?
SW- Happiness! That's all!

No comments:

Post a Comment