Friday, September 25, 2015

Uncovered Has Shawn Colvin Covering The Likes Of Tammy Wynette and Robert Earl Keen, Jr.

Artist: Shawn Colvin
Album: Uncovered
Label: Fantasy Records
Release date: Sept. 25, 2015

Grammy Award-winning singer/songwriter Shawn Colvin follows up her 2012 album All Fall Down, with Uncovered, a collection of 12 cover songs from Fantasy Records. On Uncovered, Colvin tackles some unexpected choices from great songwriters, including country music stalwarts Tammy Wynette and Robert Earl Keen, Jr.

"Some of these songs I knew how to play, others I learned for the purpose of recording this album. Until you learn a song, you don't know if you can bring anything to it." She continues, "Twenty-one years later, even though I am primarily known as the composer of my material, I've never tired of learning covers, and I had more than a few in the hopper. It seemed fitting to get together with Steuart once more and record a follow-up to Cover Girl."

Uncovered closes with "Til I Get It Right," the Red Lane-Larry Henley composition taken to the top of the country charts by Tammy Wynette in 1973. It is this last song, a statement of controlled passion and resilience that is presented more faithfully to the original recording than any of Uncovered's other numbers. It also encapsulates the intent of the album as a whole.

"The title Uncovered has a few meanings," Shawn reveals. "It means uncovering as in an excavation, and uncovered in the sense of vulnerability. This album was made very spontaneously, we didn't over-think or overdub it. One of my friends said to me, 'You sound so exposed on this record!' and I think that's the thematic key, vulnerability."
1. Tougher than the Rest (Bruce Springsteen)
2. American Tune (Paul Simon)
3. Baker Street feat. David Crosby (Gerry Rafferty)
4. Hold On (Kathleen Brenan-Tom Waits)
5. I Used To Be A King (Graham Nash)
6. Private Universe (Neil Finn)
7. Heaven Is Ten Zillion Light Years Away (Stevie Wonder)
8. Gimme A Little Sign feat. Marc Cohn (Jerry Winn-Alfred Smith-Joseph Hooven)
9. Acadian Driftwood (Robbie Robertson)
10. Lodi (John C. Fogerty)
11. Not A Drop of Rain (Robert Earl Keen Jr.)
12. ‘Till I Get it Right (Tammy Wynette)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment